Custom Easter Baskets

If you remember from my previous post on my Easter Basket conundrum, I knew I wanted custom Easter Basket liners and was running out of time to do them myself and get them to the monogramming shop.  So, I took my plain fabric to be monogrammed, thinking it wouldn’t be that much harder to work backwards.  Boy was I wrong.

Well, I suppose it wasn’t that much harder.  But, I have made basket liners using an easy method I found from curbly on youtube.  It’s relatively easy when you start with just plain fabric.  Unfortunately, it’s more difficult when you’re trying to figure out how to position the already placed monogram, which just so happened to accidentally be on the short side instead of the long side of the fabric.  In the end, it worked out, it just took more effort.  But, I recommend making your basket liner and THEN having it monogrammed!  {wink}

I started with the two yellow baskets that were a great size, and easily stacked.  (I was inspired by the yellow for the lemonade stand, and chose one of the fabrics accordingly.  The second fabric coordinated with the first, but did not have any yellow, so I just decided to paint the second basket white.  While the paint on the white basket was drying, I used the yellow basket for measurements.  Because of the monogram, I ended up having to measure the inside bottom of the basket, then the four sides which folded over.  I used the monogrammed fabric to decide how much of an overhang, and then adjusted the other sides accordingly, adding an extra 1/2″ to all sides for the seams.  Then I realized I had given myself yet another challenge:  the handles on the baskets.  I had to figure out how to get the liner on and still be able to use the handles.  I am definitely not a seamstress, so I don’t know what an experienced seamstress would do, but I muddled through it.  I really hate having to change out anything on my sewing machine (needles, feet, etc.)  I don’t do it often, and honestly, I guess it’s a bit intimidating and time consuming (because I also have to consult the manual).  So, I thought the button hole thingamajig would be perfect, but I really didn’t want to deal with that right then.  I decided to cheat and see what happened.  I went ahead and cut my fabric where I wanted it to go over the handles.  It was a risk, considering I was almost done and didn’t want to somehow screw it all up!  Then, I just used the back and forth stitch and went along the cut line.  In the end, I basically did the same thing as the button hole attachment, but it wasn’t graceful.  Not that most of my projects are!  lol  In the end, I think it worked.  I’m not sure how well it will hold up with any washings, so I need to go back and put some fray check stuff on there.  But… I got them done, and with {a little} time to spare!

 

www.ourinspiredhome.com  *  Sewing Basket Liners

www.ourinspiredhome.com * Sewing Basket Liners

I should mention that I got the baskets at 40% off at Hobby Lobby, the fabric was about $3 each, and each large monogram was about $11. So, I spent about $25 on each basket. Pricey? Well… it depends how you look at it. It was way less than if I had paid someone to do them, I got the look I wanted, all in a re-useable basket! To me, that’s a successful project!
 

The Pantry Project

I was inspired by all the neat and organized pantries that I keep seeing on Pinterest. So, I decided to tackle our own Pantry Project. Here are is a BEFORE pic. Yikes! It definitely needs some work. Keep watching for the final reveal, but for now, I’ve included a Sneak Peek!

pantry project

www.ourinspiredhome.com * The Pantry Project {Before}

Moving In… Another Sneak Peek

I like red.  I do.  But, not really in my house.  Now in other peoples’ homes, it is lovely.  But, it’s just not *my* thing.  So I was excited to find leftover paint in the garage!  Yay for builder’s beige!  (Okay, not really… it’s soooo, well, beige).  But, until I decide what color schemes I want, I’m happy getting rid of the accent color that matches absolutely none of my decor!  So… here’s another sneak peek, this time of the formal dining room.

www.ourinspiredhome.com  *  painting dining room

www.ourinspiredhome.com * painting dining room

Customizing and Old Frame

My husband’s late grandfather was a firefighter. My mother-in-law gave us this photograph of him after fighting a fire, and he had ice-cycles that formed on his helmet. We both loved the picture, but when we were first married, and didn’t have a lot of money, I had just picked up this cheap frame. At the time, the color was “in”, but now, not so much. Unfortunately, I had cut the photograph to fit the oval frame… and as it turns out, oval frames are hard to find! So, I was kinda stuck with this old, hunter-green frame. But never fear, we have spray paint here! heehee! Gotta ♥ spray paint!

In our new home, I am using a lot of neutrals. So, I decided to use some ivory spray paint that we had on hand. Actually, we had all these supplies already, because that’s how we roll. (I drive my hubby crazy with my hoarding of craft supplies, but that’s a story for another time.)

I also knew I wanted the pretty details to stand out. So, I decided on 3 colors. First I started with a dark brown base coat. Once dry, I added a copper color. Then, for the final color, I used the ivory. Then, I took the sanding block and lightly went over all the edges to enhance them a bit. I considered a glaze over the top, but decided I liked the ivory as is. Then I put back the glass, the photography, and now I have an updated look for this special memory.

www.ourinspiredhome  *  Customize an Old Frame

www.ourinspiredhome * Customize an Old Frame